Nov 5, 2012

Haloween!

Even with all the craziness of hurricane Sandy, Halloween night was beautiful! The night was cool and crisp with a good amount of fallen leaves on the ground. Abby was beyond excited to go trick-or-treating and Kera was excited because Abby was.

First step...the outfit! I am surprised by this but, Jim and Abby made the decision last Halloween that Abby would be a witch this year and she stuck with it. I have heard of other kids changing their mind a million or 2 times but, not Abby. As usual I stressed over the costumes but, I think, they turned out great.


After the girls were dressed we went to meet other families in the neighborhood. There are so many kids in our neighborhood that I couldn't get them all in one picture so, I took a picture of the two most important...


Next, it was back to the house to light our pumpkins and put out our candy.



Jim and I both wanted to go out trick-or-treating with the girls so we decided to leave our bowl of candy at the door. Unfortunately, we found out from our neighbor, that all of our candy was taken by the first 2 visitors. We were not surprised by this but, we were definitely disappointed!

Kera was a bit tentative at first, she wanted me to carry her to every door...


I told her that if she did not walk to the door herself she then she would not get the candy. She quickly got the hang of it with the help of her sister.


It didn't take long before Abby and Kera were saying "next house" as soon as the people shut the door.

 This is Abby's 3rd year trick-or-treating so, she is a pro but, it is still so much fun to see how excited they get. As soon as she would get a treat she would turn to Jim and I and say, "look what I got", so funny.

On the other hand, this is Kera's first real trick-or-treating experience. Last year, I was pushing her around in a stroller. Kera learned to like getting treats VERY quickly. Our little candy monger would not wait for the people to give her candy. When a person would open the door she would quickly grab for the candy and grab as much as her little hands could carry. Thankfully, people were good about it. But Kera came home with about a third more candy than Abby.

Here are their there candy treasures...



We are not big candy eaters around here so on Halloween evening we asked the girls if they wanted to make a trade...they could keep 5 pieces of their candy and then if they gave the rest to us then we could go to the store and pick out a new toy. They happily agreed to the trade. Since all of our candy was taken so quickly, I used the girls candy to open our door back up to trick-or-treaters.

The following day I took the girls to the store for their new  toy. Kera came home with a Belle doll and Abby decided on an Ariel doll. I purchased a gallon of milk and 2 dolls for $24, I think this was a great trade and  hopefully they will agree to it next year too.

We were worried that we would miss Halloween this year due to hurricane Sandy, we are so happy that this Halloween happened and that it was as great as it was.

No comments: