Jun 1, 2010

Grand Canyon

For Memorial weekend we headed to the Grand Canyon. I had not been there since I was a kid and it was Jim and Abby's first time. Plus, it was Abby's first time camping ever. I first went camping when I was 5 months old so, we figured, it was long over due.

We headed out on Saturday morning and it took us about 5 hours to get there. Luckily Abby did sleep 2 of the hours and was a really good passenger the rest of the time.


Our camp site was great! It was really big and we didn't feel like we were too close to our neighbors.

I would like to say that the first night was uneventful and relaxing but, I can't. We had a great dinner...
But, after dinner Abby had a small accident. While relaxing around the campfire...




She tripped and her arm touched the metal fore ring. The poor dear has a burn on her arm. We felt awful but after a few minutes of crying Abby was back to exploring.



It was the first night that we learned that Abby is not a huge fan of sleeping in tents. We had her set-up in her own area in the tent but she didn't stay there for long...she ended up sleeping with us. This was not all bad because she did provide Jim and I with a little extra warmth...it was in the 30's at night. With the little one between us we did not get much sleep.

The next morning, after having a nice breakfast, we headed to see the canyon. Unfortunately, we left Abby's hiking backpack at home but there was a great paved path that went along the South rim.

After nap time we headed out on a drive to check out more of the canyon. It is truly an amazing site.
One of Abby's favorite camping activities was playing in the dirt. She loved it SO much that we have decided to change her name to Pigpen...Abigail Pigpen Rogers.

Unfortunately, the second night in the tent was no fun. Abby decided that 1:30 am would be a great time for some screaming. She didn't go back to bed for a couple hours. As a result Jim and I Went without much sleep for the second night.

While we had the camp night reserved for 3 nights we decided that 2 nights was plenty...we decided the pool was calling us.

No comments: